June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Wednesday 23 June 2010

Redcurrant time

I am astonished by my one redcurrant bush.   Each year it produces a bigger crop and poses quite a major task finding time for picking - let alone deciding what to do with the fruit.  There is a limit to how much redcurrant jam one can eat and most of one's friends seem to be on a diet of some sort.   This year I have started taking the fruit in to work to distribute!   But I can't be ungracious and ignore my prolific bush's generosity so most evenings I am spending at least half an hour fruit-picking - about 11 lbs so far...   This one bush is in its third home and other than a regular feed of potash and fish blood and bone, it seems to need virtually no attention.   Maybe the proximity to next door's cats and dogs helps keep the birds off - who knows....

It has been really hot today so after planting out a few more straggling dahlias and some penstemons I accidentally acquired on my way home today, I watered thoroughly, not least as my grass seed seems to have taken - hoorah!   I expect now the slugs and snails will be out there drooling and licking their lips....

No comments:

Post a Comment