June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Saturday 5 June 2010

Chelsea chop

I don't really have enough of anything to do much Chelsea chopping but I have experimented on some campanulas and picked out the tips of my dahlias which all seem to be looking healthy.  

Made a very early start pruning this morning - while it was still quiet - and was joined by Mrs Blackbird and her three rapidly-maturing youngsters.   I had put out some apples left over from work.   She tried feeding the young with apple but it seemed to disintegrate too easily on their sharp beaks.   Then she had a go at showing them how to eat it.   Oh dear, far too much trouble....   Far easier to wait for Mum to feed you.   They all seem quite familiar with me and will come within a few feet.

Pruning clematis and general tidying plus massive clearance of ivy from fence as my neighbours cut their side back - apparently completely.   Sadly the honeysuckle, just about to flower, has gone too.   Glad I took some cuttings....   But I do have a lot more light.

No comments:

Post a Comment