June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Saturday 29 May 2010

Rain at last


In spite of it being wet and quite chilly during a visit to the Rare Plant Fair at Kingston Bagpuize house today, we have had some delicious rain this week - just before things really started drying out.    I put out most of the dahlias to harden off today so they have had their first proper watering.   I am awaiting the on-slaught of slugs and snails but hoping all the baby-bird feeding will see them put to better use!   The blackbirds have three very bouncy, chirpy young who seem to delight in hopping between perches in the shrubs near the house and a family of sparrows seem to have discovered a good spot for easy feeding under the bird feeder - a delight. 

Picked my first roses today and the last (common) paeony.   Rosa Madam Alfred Carrier has settled in very well after being moved.   I think I am lucky as I understand from friends that they don't like being disturbed.   This year some stems of my R Kiftsgate look-alike have found their way over the arch to join her so it should be a gorgeous mingling of white turning pink-tinged with the hint-of-apricot white.

The clematis montana is virtually finished now but the mid-season flowerers are all starting to open.   My only loss to the winter was Pistachio which was very nice so I think I'll replace it - and find out if it was the winter or the positioning it didn't like.   I lost a lot of allium christophii too although some are flourishing so it's hard to imagine that was down to the cold.   I MUST replace them, they are such good value for their wonderful seedheads.

Bought a new low-growing clematis today from grower Marcus Dancer www.clematisplants.co.uk who told me he is developing 2 new colourways of Clematis Arabelle which I maintain no garden should be without - a dark purple one and a mauve-pink.   I so need a bigger garden....


No comments:

Post a Comment