June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Monday 17 May 2010

A long evening

This evening, photographed "Burgundy" tulips which are just about going over.   They have been wonderful - long-lasting and getting better by the day.   Stayed in the garden until 9.35 - until it was virtually dark.   I find it a great time for thinking and planning what I want to do - accompanied by a glass of wine of course.

So many scents but as it has been so dry (yesterday's cloud bursts seem to have done little but wet the surface) and so cold, things are coming out in quite a different order, which is fascinating.   My erratic clematis pruning evidently contributes to this.   I am very excited about a lot of tiny seedlings which have appeared underneath my clematis "Minuet" which I shall pot up now I have recognised them!

In the bare patch beneath the old ceanothus I cut down - where the grass is NOT growing - something has been scratching and I suspect it was the hedgehog as there was also a sort of hedgehog-sized path under the fence.   He has done me a favour as I think  I will abandon the grass and make it home to a new piece of Diana's ceramics I am about to acquire ... Very exciting!

Picked two bunches of lily of the valley for the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment