June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Saturday 22 May 2010

Lily beetles

When I opened the kitchen door early this morning Mrs Blackbird hopped onto the step and had a good look in at me - I thought she was actually going to come inside.   She didn't but kept stopping to have a look at what I was up to in the garden in between feeding her cheeping brood.

Installed beautiful new ceramic ground piece from Diana (www.dianaroles.co.uk).   It deserves a better backdrop but otherwise works perfectly in its chosen spot - picture to follow.

Caught and dispatched 7 lily beetles today then managed to dislodge 2 more who did their clever trick of turning black side up so I lost them.    Returned later to find 2 more - the same ones? - and used new technique of placing one hand underneath and catching with the other before squashing.

Potted up about 25 tiny seedlings of clematis "Minuet".   I just can't bear to throw them away....

Spent over an hour in the sunshine picking off black-spotted rose leaves and noticed I still have some unidentifiable fungi growing in the grass.

Beautiful day and still, warm evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment