June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Sunday 10 June 2012

Wisteria - a matter of scale

I vividly remember the day I found a special offer on Wisteria at a Bloom's nursery.   Of course I couldn't resist it.   But every year I am reminded that such rashness is not advisable with a garden the tiny size of mine!

My idea was to plant it to cover the left side of the trellis which screens the greenhouse - both for colour and also to form a framework in its own right once the trellis disintegrates.   In fact it is working in both these respects but rather more rampantly than I had anticipated (shades of R. Kifstgate).   The racemes of flowers are massive - at least 12 inches long - but sadly its position means you don't really get to see them properly!    Nonetheless, it is staying.   I wonder if it will survive and become a structure in its own right in years to come.    Hmmm.

Wisteria with R. Zepherine Drouhin
Wisteria on trellis with new bird bath by Diana Roles in foreground


No comments:

Post a Comment