June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Sunday 17 June 2012

Roses take over

R. William Morris - so aptly named
The roses have survived the torrential rain and incredibly fierce winds to reward me with some luscious blooms.   Not least r. Kiftsgate has begun bursting into flower.   From the bathroom window it dominates the whole vista reminding me of the tower beset with fierce-thorned roses in Rapunzel.   In this view you can just about make out a patch of grass through the archway in the bay hedge and also the new birdbath - a great success with the blackbirds, young and older, just in front of the greenhouse. It shows just how small the garden is.   No wonder it's such hard work keeping it all under control.
From the bathroom window - see the jungle I have created!!!!
Yesterday morning I was greeted with the sight of a male blackbird feeding a very large fledgling.   It put me off going out for a while but they were soon on their way.   I can't imagine he was feeding the young bird mahonia berries (what a digestion!) but he was certainly tucking in himself!

In spite of the dire weather forecast the weather has been good - if windy - this weekend and I managed to plant nearly all the dahlias, making a very strange discovery in the process.   I seemed to remember planting more allium corms last autumn than have surfaced and indeed I had.  I found quite a number still looking healthy just totally dormant in the ground.   I replanted them hoping for better luck next year.   Must look in to what has caused this....

Otherwise most things seem to be catching up - particularly the clematis.   Hopefully this will work in my favour by extending the flowering season.   Must pay some attention to late summer plants to fill any gaps!

Uncovered this delightful planter Diana made when I was pruning recently and have cheated a bit of colour with some things from the garden centre.
Planter by Diana Roles with garden centre annuals


No comments:

Post a Comment