June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Monday 11 June 2012

Self-set treasures

Having missed an early spraying of the roses due to the incredible amount of rain we've had during our "drought" I have spent a great deal of time clearing up the horrid yellow black-spotted leaves.   I have taken to sweeping them off the grass but can't do much to keep them out of the borders where they slip between the plants and accumulate waiting for vulnerable victims.   Geranium Phaeum seem vulnerable to mildew - another thing I think they catch from the roses if left unsprayed.   So it is at this time that I am most grateful for the self-set treasures which just do their own thing and seem relatively unaffected by such ailments.
This year I had a wonderful array of aquillegias in all shades of blues, pinks, purples and white and a good mix of pink and white fox gloves.   It is sometimes hard to leave these seedlings when they appear but it is worth restraining ones self.
Other good selfl-seeders in my garden are some of the geraniums - particularly Kashmir white and the silvery-leaved, long-flowering lychnis coronaria (also white version).
I am constantly looking for people to give seedlings to ...    Anyone interested?
Self-set aquilegia with alliums - and that broom again!

No comments:

Post a Comment