June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Tuesday 25 August 2015

Between August rains

I am not complaining about the weather. I have never seen the garden so lush at this time of year! Greensleeves applied their third treatment to the grass last week and I have to say I think their visits are worth every penny. Even though I have some very thin patches the overall effect is greener than it has ever been. I'm sure the inhibiting of any moss is a significant factor. Pity they can't do any treatment to prevent squirrels digging holes and burying peanuts. (No, removing the hazel tree hasn't made any difference!)
This year's weather has really suited dahlias. Here are the first to come into flower. In the background two phlox are providing the pink and white. They seem to love it here and have really flourished.
As usual the bit of planning I managed to put in to colour-balancing the dahlias has gone a bit awry and the success of over-wintered plants in conjunction with some of this years new tubers has resulted in some congested areas but it's all good fun. Some of the nicest surprises with dahlias are the freaks of nature - as in this pompon sporting two rogue red petals.

I between the dahlias the heads of alliums have dried out and are beginning to disintegrate. I find it hard to decide when to cut them down - sometimes they decide for me! Likewise the opium poppy heads. The plants go through a lovely transition from green-blue to brown but then the leaves are a bit grotty before they finally dry out. But here's one I'm glad I left as it's made a great background for this splendid shield bug. I read somewhere a recommendation to spend 20 minutes a day just looking at the insect-life in your garden. There's a lot to be said for that (with your glasses on that is!).

No comments:

Post a Comment