June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Wednesday 6 May 2015

Vibrant tulips on a sunny Bank Holiday!!!!

Determined to make the most of the day, I got up at 6.00 on Monday and was duly rewarded. After a dull start the sun soon came out, providing ideal gardening conditions - much different from the terrific winds we have today.
The tulips are just about at their peak. I'm still not entirely sure what they all are (object-lesson - keep better records) but the fringed "Curly Sue" is fun and I'm glad of the paler pink to give a bit of relief to the more vibrant colours. The yellow-orange-red Jimmy has enormous flowers, rather dominating its magenta partner Renaldo which I think works better with Ballerina - as in the picture right - one which hung on from last year. Try as I might to get overall shots which (I feel) do the collection justice I decided (eventually) to just enjoy them and their transcience, although I am happy with a few of the closer shots.
The grass is less of a success story with some patches looking quite bare. I don't know if I didn't water sufficiently in the first weeks or if the problem is to do with heavy shade and maybe even a bit too much water in the shadier spots. Time will tell. From a distance it still looks great anyway and I am hopeful it will settle down and green up evenly.
I got seduced by some sweet pea plants at Dorney Court garden centre the other day. I'm such a sucker and I really don't need having to find time to dig a big hole to fill with manure in order to give them a fair chance - but I did. Having saved the off-shoots from the hazel tree when it was cut down I managed to make a couple of very sparse, make-shift wigwam-type supports - one for a pot and another for the new space made by the hazel's removal. The sweet peas are a deep red-magenta "Windsor" and a blue-white mix. Hopefully they will combine with the clematis and golden hop to give me a bit of scented height while I decide whether or not to plant a small pear tree to replace the hazel - a nice slow-growing dwarf one!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful colours. The first picture is amazing, with the light, the green of the grass and the colourful tulips.
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doris. It is really hard to keep the grass green with so many plants but I don't think a garden is a garden without some grass - it sets everything else off so well. Happy gardening. Sue

      Delete