June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Wednesday 13 May 2015

First flowering climbers and returning swallows

My grass had its first treatment by Greensleeves this week along with instructions to do a bit of pruning around the shady areas. I already had! But everything is growing so fast at present I can hardly keep up with it. The lily of the valley is most rampant - marching up the garden and invading everything I don't actively dig it out from. There will be more than I can hope to re-home but I will be trying.
It's hard to decide what has excited me the most, but the return of the cheery swooping and peeping of the swallows ranks very high. The unexpected partnership of early flowers on Rosa Madame Alfred Carriere - budding up profusely since I remembered to train its long stems horizontally - with the cheery pale pink Clematis montana is also very satisfying as they scramble through the bay hedge supporting them.

No comments:

Post a Comment