June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Tuesday 4 June 2013

Purples and pinks - Alliums and Judas tree

This must be the first year the big brown seed pods have fallen from the Judas tree, perhaps as a result of the long cold winter.   It wouldn't be the only thing to benefit.   The roses seem to be clearer from black spot than I can ever recall, although Kiftsgate's shaded lower branches are still showering the grass with little yellow leaves as I didn't get out to spray them this spring.

All the roses seem to have more buds this year and I'm not sure if this is due to the weather or the new pruning regime I have adopted on the advice of a professional gardner friend - don't cut them back each year.   They are growing much taller but looking much healthier.

This is the purple and pink time of year for me so here are a few shots of the alliums (as mentioned, I'm sure many of these are self-set), self-set aquilegias and the Judas tree petals scattered along the brick path.
 
 
The Judas tree (Cercis siliquastrum) looks spectacular in the evening sunlight before it's leaves get too big and dark and benefitting visually from the lack of seed pods.   When I look at this picture I can imagine the call of the swifts.



No comments:

Post a Comment