June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Thursday 30 June 2011

Swifts and lillies

Lilium regale

I notice that the RSPB are on the look-out for sightings of swifts.   I was only just wondering what these dynamic swooping, peeping birds were - I always confuse swallows, swifts and martins - but now I know and I am very chuffed that they have been whizzing about in the most dynamic fashion over my garden for years and particularly this week.   

It has been a good week for unusual flying things.   I had to rescue a bat which was flying in a panic round the gym. last night - to the horror of the staff!

The garden is really way ahead of its self this year.   So much so that it is almost about to enter what I think of as its high summer quiet patch, before the dahlias and late shrubs get going.   Best at the moment are the regal lilies which, along with honeysuckle, are filling the air with heady scent.   I could never have too many of them.  


Lilium album reflecting in bird bath
Lilies with Rosa Pat Austen

No comments:

Post a Comment