June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Tuesday 17 May 2011

Early allium christophii

 A few wonderful "bonus" hours in the garden this week have given me time to observe just how far ahead everything is this year - a good 3 weeks.   I would be worried that there will be no colour left by mid June if it weren't for the fact that the dahlias are coming along so rapidly that I have had to start nipping the tops out.

I think I like the promise of things to come almost as much as when everything is in full bloom.   Is it the anticipation or the sadness that they will soon be over?   Maybe a bit of both.   The allium christophii just bursting forth definitely fits the former - as do the white peony buds.   The white rock rose treats me with delicate buds and delightful fallen petals.   The only thing is it's growing so far over the path it is almost becoming a hazard...

 I am very pleased with the roses this year.   I gave them a very thorough spraying one still day in early April and there is very little sign of mildew and very few black spotty leaves.   Gave them another, less thorough, spraying this evening.  Bayer's MultiRose certainly knows its stuff.   "Kiftsgate" seems to be reaching further than ever and is threatening to cover almost everything given half the chance!

The self-set foxgloves are so user-friendly.   They seem to transplant without any complaint - given a few days of good watering.  I seldom notice how beautiful the bee guides are but I did today!

No comments:

Post a Comment