June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Monday 30 May 2011

Dahlia planting

I am so glad that last weekend I spent a whole day digging up tulip bulbs and planting my dahlias.   Some of them - from Rose Cottage Garden - were quite small but the ones I bought early from various garden centres were getting so advanced that I actually had to pick out flower buds from some of them.

This year I have gone for a much more harmonious colour combination going through from white in various forms via the pinks and purples to very deep reds which go toward black.   I am already wondering if there will be enough contrast but I'm hoping the softer balance might give a more continuous feel in my tiny space.   I have also tried to find lower-growing varieties and am aiming to pinch them out to keep them smaller....

Varieties are:  
White Star, My Love, Jura, Eveline - all basically white
Seduction, Orfeo, Purple Gem, Le Baron - basically pink - magenta.   2 of Le Baron haven't come up so I have asked Rose Cottage Plants for a replacement....
Edinburgh - deep purple tipped white
Natal and Arabian Night - deep red
Nuit d'Ete - very dark crimson

Luckily we have had some lovely rain since I planted them....

No comments:

Post a Comment