June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Sunday 19 September 2010

Matucana

Decided today that I must be more disciplined about my planting - mainly with regard to colour schemes.   There really isn't space to do all I want here so I shall try and learn from this year's wild enthusiasm for dahlias and limit myself a bit.   Still, it has been a greatly enjoyable experiment.   I think I will try and keep the rose and herb area to a colour palate similar to that in this shot of sweet pea Matucana which has suddenly come on really well in the past week.   I wonder if it was responding to the tomerite I gave it last weekend?   Will have to experiment.   Anyway, this palate with a slightly deeeper orange than Noordwijk's Glory (which is such a pretty shape).   Maybe see what Sarah Raven recommends....



Had to water the garden today as it is so dry.   Also planted up some grow bags in the greenhouse with a small quantity of lambs lettuce, corn salad, land cress and cilantro (leaf coriander).   Hopefully they will get going before the days shorten too much and give me a bit of winter greenery.   Also having another go at growing Lilium Formosanum and Tropaeolum Speciosum from seed - also planted today.

Picked up quite a few more nuts and shelled and toasted them.   This was a very bad idea as I have eaten a LOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment