June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Saturday, 2 December 2017

Digging and planting

The delivery of a large package containing 3 blackcurrant bushes and a blackberry cane persuaded me it was worth the effort of wrapping up well and ignoring the gloomy weather today.
The small border at the very end of the garden, backing on to my neighbours' tall fence, has long been a bit of a disaster zone so earlier in the year I decided to cut back and kill the root of the rampant jasmine which was taking over and turn it over to soft fruit. I knew the earth was full of stones but didn't anticipate just how many bucket-fulls I would have to remove: it took the best part of three hours. There was also a surprise in store. At one end of the border about a foot deep I hit something hard but not totally solid which turned out to be the bottom of a large up-turned bucket evidently buried deliberately. As my imagination went into overdrive I decided to leave it where it is! Maybe in many years to come someone else can discover what is hidden underneath it. I found only a few worms so evidently the soil wasn't very healthy so I've dug in some manure and compost and popped my 3 "Wellington" Blackcurrants in a small row. It is a sunny spot so fingers crossed they will thrive so I can make blackcurrant jam next year!
The "Merton" thornless blackberry has gone in next to the loganberries which seem to thrive so hopefully the location will suit that too.
Having left my daahlia tubers to dry in the green house they looked so healthy I decided to attempt another means of over-wintering them by packing them in a box filled with polystyrene "Wotsits" that arrived as packing-material for some pots of growing narcissi. Again, we shall see what happens!

No comments:

Post a comment