June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Saturday 11 June 2016

June rain

We seem to be quite lucky not to have major floods so I'm not complaining about the gentle rain that's interrupted my planned dahlia-planting. In fact it's perfect growing weather and the roses are loving it.

For the first time I can recall, roses that usually hang their heads down and standing upright. Is this due to all the rain? Whatever, R Prince Charles and R Pat Austen are covered in blooms and the delicate old fashioned white rose (whose name I've forgotten) is flourishing too following total neglect from me last year (another object-lesson?). Dispatched 5 lily beetles this morning and chucked out a good deal of large slugs and snails with the tulips. I'm sure the lily beetles were making a squeaking noise - not sure if this is possible.... They have not yet discovered two pots of very healthy-looking l.Formosanum and l.Regale near the kitchen. The latter, bulbs from Sarah Raven, are stunning plants a good five feet in height and growing strong and straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment