June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Saturday 28 June 2014

Lilium longifolium and delicious rain

Today we have the perfect gardeners' rain - it is warm but not windy and the rain is coming down gently, just what we need even though it is Saturday and I had plans for making redcurrant jelly. What a lovely excuse to just look.... The lack of recent posts reflects my pre-occupation with the garden. I've been enjoying the best of the roses and trying to keep the jungle growth under control, along with picking a good crop of soft fruit and my first (and probably only) crop of sugarsnap peas. I really need to re-think the fruit garden and make more space for veg.. Fruit may be incredibly easy to grow but it takes a lot of time to pick and then distribute to those who make better use of it than I do. Almost every day in June seems to bring something new. This week has included discovering a splendid frog, the first cosmos flowers, nasturtians, perennial clematis and lillies Regale and Longifolium. I am so glad I persevered and tracked down the latter, recommended by Christopher Lloyd as later-flowering than most. I have 2 pots - one of bulbs bought at a garden centre which have just begun to flower, the other bought on-line are still building up to budding - the promise of things to come. They are evidently different varieties each with their individual beauty. The trellis is a total disaster area, the weight of plants toppling it over and squashing a lovely pink rose and clematis Minuet against the greenhouse - something I should really have dealt with in the early spring - object-lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment