June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Thursday 22 May 2014

Shades of Monet

Having visited Monet's garden 3 times now, I would happily go back another time. Not just to see his garden, his fabulous kitchen inspired me to paint mine bright yellow complimented with blue oddities.... But looking back at pictures I took of the garden at the weekend, I am reminded of his wonderful series of Rouen cathedral in its changing light. The two shots here taken from a similar angle have a very different feel to them - just because the light is different. I am thrilled with the alliums this season. I suspected they were self-seeding last year but I am now certain as one has popped up next to the greenhouse where I most definitely did not plant it! Pity about the leaves, but you can't have it all! I can't help but photograph them. Here the late-opening leaves of a potted hibiscus provide a great contrast. The garden is going through a very mauve phase at present - plenty of aquilegias, the rediculously huge wisteria falling like a curtain from the remnants of the rustic trellis and Bonanza(below), the first of the summer clematis to flower. The mix of sun and rain are providing wonderful growing conditions so that my grass seed has finally germinated and is even starting to fill up some of the bald patches!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful nice garden! Nice pictures!
    Greetings from Germany
    Helga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helga. It is getting some more nourishing rain today - quite usual for a bank holiday. I hope the sun is shining in Germany.

      Delete