June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Thursday 29 August 2013

Vine weevil and lilium formosanum

I was lucky to look out at my window box this morning and see an adult vine weevil on the underside - i.e. the window side! - of a leaf.   http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=234
I shall have to get out the vine weevil killer and give the window box a good drenching to prevent the horrible maggoty grubs eating the roots of things - particularly pansies.   I have had problems with these before but I am very lazy about preventative measures!

Something I am pleased to see is that the buds of the lilium formasanum that I bought as (unpromising) tiny plants last year are just about to burst open.   A well worthwhile lily, I shall certainly persevere with these in future - including treating them for lily beetles and vine weevils I suppose.

Here is one of the first flowers in evening light against my favourite bird bath.



No comments:

Post a Comment