June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Monday 19 March 2012

Blue skies and white frosts

The birds seem to have found other things to interest them than my polyanthus this week.   I love the way they cross-polinate and do their own thing, popping up wherever they like - even between cracks in the brick paving.

 
It felt very warm in the sun while the bees were buzzing outside the French windows on Saturday but we have had some very harsh frosts in the past week, threatening to destroy the flowers on apricot  Flavorcot - I am hoping for more than 1 fruit this year.   The frost doesn't seem to have affected the amelanchier whose buds are bursting or the forsythia, which is very late this year, is always pretty hardy.    I love the buds almost as much as the flowers - like promising little fists.


It's dahlia planning time again and I have spent several hours poring over web sites trying to decide on some rich red and orange varieties to have a good fight with the civilized pinks of last year which do seem to have survived the extremely cold spells in the protection of my Mum's garage.   I found a few reds at the garden centre - Berger's Record and Garden Wonder - but I doubt I will be able to stop there.

What I am really hoping for is rain....


No comments:

Post a Comment