June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Sunday 4 September 2011

First fall of nuts

 The weather forecast actually correctly predicted a fine day yesterday and I really made the most of it with a thorough tidy up in the garden.   The new grass seed I put down has taken really well - although I realised the very strong growth underneath the bird feeder is actually a very dense crop of wheat!  Still, it blends in well.

Put more Miracle Grow on the dahlias, planted a grow-bag in the greenhouse with assorted salad leaf crops, picked a reasonable bowlful of delicious autumn raspberries and collected the first hazel - or cob nuts - I still haven't figured out which.   They are quite hard to find amongst the dense growth but worth the effort both to eat and also to limit the number of saplings which emerge each spring.   I must have pulled up about a dozen this year....   

The best part of the day was early evening,  settled with my book and a glass and reading until the dusk became too dense to read.   Good job I made the most of it.   This morning we got absolutely drenched shooting in woods.   It reminded me of the jungle rain storms I had been reading about in Ingrid Betancourt's book about her captivity in the Colombian rain forests "Even silence has an end".   It smashed a few dahlias but I am surprised how fresh the garden is still looking for late summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment