June view 2009

June view 2009
View of rose and herb garden, June 2009

Small Garden Story

Over some 15 + years, I have been photographing the evolution of my small (85 x 15 foot) garden and it seems a waste not to put these records into some sort of context. Beginning here in April 2010 this Blog is intended to both act as a diary and to share past and present successes (and some failures), pleasures and disappointments with fellow garden-lovers. In due course, I intend to fill in some of the background and early days but that will have to wait until the winter months!

Sunday 7 August 2011

Sun and showers

It must be the school holidays again!   So much for an afternoon in the garden - every time I stick my nose outside it starts raining again.  Not that I'm complaining.  It's much better than watering.   It can also be quite beautiful.   Everything shines and the garden has a green glow and a smell of things growing which is quiet energising.   I can almost hear the snails shouting out in celebration at their good fortune!
I picked my first green beans this week - and they really do taste better than shop-bought.   So I planted a few more in the hope they will keep going until the frosts (horrible thought).   I also picked my last sweet peas.   I pulled them up in despair.   Mildew, yellowing leaves and very few straggly flowers were not what I had in mind but I think the problem was down to lack of regular watering.   Another "must try harder" if I can really be bothered....
Spent several hours pouring Miracle Grow on the dahlias, pruning and tidying - not least the hop which really has its own plans - not least wrapping itself around some incredibly tall globe thistle flowers.   I was at the top of a step ladder when I took these 2 shots.
This group of fading globe thistles reminded me of a bunch of unruly teenagers.
A few nuts have fallen off the hazlenut tree - very early and rotten inside when I cracked them.   There are a lot more to come, promising a good crop if they hang on.

No comments:

Post a Comment